Due to the vitality of the dress, we decided to sit down with Matina’s Bridal to learn more about their boutique, the industry in general and the best tips to finding the perfect dress.
Matina’s Bridal has been northern Ohio’s premier dress boutique for more than 40 years and specializes in designer wedding gowns and accessories, bridesmaid’s dresses and mother of the bride gowns. Matina’s Bridal travels frequently to NYC to attend bridal shows, meet with designers and stay in the loop with bridal trends and fashion. Matina’s bridal carries numerous designers, many of which are exclusive to Matina’s in the Cleveland area. The following designers can be found at the boutique: Alvina Valenta Bridal, Amsale Bridal, Bliss by Monique Lhuillier, Caroline Castigliano, Hayley Paige Bridal, Ines Di Santo, Lazaro Bridal, Marisa Collection, Matthew Christopher, Ti Adora and coming soon, Robert Bullock Bride. With a large variety of designers and styles as well as knowledgeable staff, you’re sure to "say yes to the dress” at Matina’s.
1. Be true to yourself. If you like classic styles, look for a classic gown. If you’re an edgy, fashion forward individual you should follow suit with your wedding dress selection. Wedding dress styles change seasonally but there are also classic, traditional styles that remain static. Stay true to your personality and what most resembles you. If you try to be too daring on your wedding day, you will regret it later on.
2. Start your dress search early. Matina’s recommends starting the process one year prior to the wedding date. Most dresses take 4-6 months to order and alterations can take up to three months on top of that. The average bride comes in three to four times for fittings, but it varies with each bride. Make sure you bring all accessories including shoes, jewelry, veil and undergarments to the fittings so you know what the dress will look like on the day of. Keep in mind that more elaborate designs and gowns, including lace details , take longer to alter.
3. Limit the number of dresses you try on. When you shop around too much and try on dozens of wedding gowns at each boutique, the gown selection process becomes an arduous task and not the joyful, exciting experience it was meant to be. Limit yourself to 2-3 appointments and try on no more than 10-12 dresses at each one. More often than not, brides end up buying the first dress they try on.
4. Do your research prior to your bridal appointments. Call the store and ask questions about styles and/or price ranges. Come prepared with some idea of what you’re looking for whether it be the style, the designer or even just the budget. It’s better to be armed with information than to be surprised and waste your time.
5. Consider the fabric. For example, if the wedding takes place on a beach or other outdoor venue in the middle of summer it’s best not to wear a large ball gown made of silk-faced duchess satin. Rather, look for a breathable fabric that allows you to be as comfortable as possible on your wedding day. Overall, make sure your dress matches the venue and overall theme of your day. If your wedding is fancy, choose a fancy fabric. If your wedding is very casual, a fabric that matches that feel is more appropriate.
6. Be a bride. You can never be “too bridal”. The intention is that you are making a lifetime commitment and only doing this once. Wear the veil, get the jewelry you love and enjoy every minute of being a bride. It’s the one day in your life that is all about you!
7. Ask questions. If you have questions about the fit during the alterations process, don’t keep quiet! You can’t be helped if you don’t voice your concerns. Every bridal store’s main goal is a happy bride and Matina’s will do anything to make sure their brides feel beautiful on their wedding day.
1. Don’t order your dress online. A wedding dress is the most important garment a woman will ever buy. Don't chance that purchase to an online retailer. Unfortunately there are numerous counterfeit websites that misrepresent their inventory and offer low quality gowns. Plus, wedding gown sizing is 1x-2x different than street sizing, so ordering online is a disaster waiting to happen. When you purchase a gown from Matina's, we take your measurements and match them to the designer's size chart.
2. Don’t shop giant retailers. You may get sucked into buying a dress that isn’t right for you, or not in your budget. Visit smaller boutiques that will give all of their focus to you.
3. Don’t go against your gut instinct. If there’s something you don’t like about a dress in the store, that feeling will be magnified on your wedding day. Don’t buy that dress.
4. Don’t forget to ask questions. Whether it be about the designer, the style, the fit, the alterations or the bustling, all questions are important.
5. Don’t forget accessories. Jewelry, belts, veils and other hair pieces can truly change the look of a dress. We suggest "saying yes to the dress” with the veil on to see the full look. Matina’s offers a variety of veils and accessories including a selection of oversized hair combs, wreaths and other hair jewelry made of a variety of metals, stones and Swarovski crystals. See pictures below for more details.
6. Don’t bring too many people to the boutique to try on dresses. The more opinions, the more confused the bride becomes. Even though reality TV promotes big groups, it causes stress, chaos and the bride ends up trying on dresses she knows she is not interested in.
7. Don’t pick the dress you think other people would want you to wear. It’s your day and your dress. You’re supposed to feel as beautiful as possible!
Most popular style this season?
Sexy and fitted with sheer tops and open back
Most popular designer?
Most popular accessory?
Long veils with a piece of hair jewelry beneath. Once the ceremony is over, the veil is removed but the jewelry remains in the hair giving a finished look.
· Monique Lhuillier Bliss Bridal Trunk Show – September 23rd/24th
· Best of Lazaro Bridal Trunk Show – October 27th – 29th (celebrating Matina’s 42nd Anniversary!)
· Ti Adora Bridal Trunk Show – November 17th – 19th
· Matthew Christopher Bridal Trunk Show – December 23rd – December 31st
· Bridemaids’ Bash and Trunk Show featuring Amsale Bridesmaids – January 26th – 28th
Appointments necessary. Call to schedule or book online.
Matina's Bridal • Eton Shopping Center • 28601 Chagrin Blvd. • Woodmere, OH 44122
As always, read, comment, share and subscribe to the blog on the right. Check your spam settings to make sure we aren't going to your spam!